A Guide On Claiming For Slips And Trips If No Wet Floor Signs Were Displayed

This guide looks at when you could make a personal injury claim if you suffered harm in a slip, trip, or fall accident because no wet floor signs were displayed. We set out the criteria you should fulfil and highlight the time limits in relation to starting a claim. 

no wet floor signs displayed

A Guide On Claiming For Slips And Trips If No Wet Floor Signs Were Displayed

In certain scenarios, such as at work and in a public place, you are owed a duty of care. We will explore the legislation that outlines the responsibilities certain parties have and how a failure to fulfil these could cause a slip or fall accident in which a person sustains harm.  

Additionally, our guide details the evidence which can be useful in establishing employer and public liability.

Moreover, we also highlight how much your slip and trip accident compensation claim could be worth and explain how this may be calculated.

To conclude, we note how No Win No Fee agreements offered by solicitors could benefit you.

If you would like to learn more, please keep reading our guide. Alternatively, you can reach out to a member of our team to receive further guidance on making a claim. 

To reach them, please use one of the ways below: 

  • Call us on 0800 408 7825
  • Complete our web form with your details to contact us
  • Refer to the live window feature on our site to begin a chat with an advisor

Select A Section

  1. A Guide On Claiming For Slips And Trips If No Wet Floor Signs Were Displayed
  2. Why Do Slips On A Wet Floor Occur?
  3. What Evidence Could Support A Personal Injury Claim?
  4. How Much Could I Claim For Slips And Trips If No Wet Floor Signs Were Displayed?
  5. Claiming For Slip Accidents With A No Win No Fee Solicitor
  6. Learn More About Claiming When No Wet Floor Signs Were Displayed

A Guide On Claiming For Slips And Trips If No Wet Floor Signs Were Displayed

In order to make a personal injury claim for an injury sustained in a slip or trip accident, you need to satisfy the following eligibility requirements: 

  • You were owed a duty of care.
  • There was a breach of this duty.
  • This breach caused you to suffer harm. This is negligence.

As mentioned, certain parties owe a duty of care. Firstly, the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 outlines that employers are required to take all reasonably practicable steps to ensure the safety of their employees. This can involve carrying out regular risk assessments and addressing any hazards that arise. As such, in order to sue your employer for a slip and fall, they must be in breach of their duty and have caused you harm as a result. 

Secondly, under the Occupiers’ Liability Act 1957, those in control of a public space owe a duty of care to members of the public. They are required to make sure steps are taken to ensure the reasonable safety of visitors using the space for its intended purpose. This can involve providing adequate health and safety training to their employees as a way to reduce the risk of known hazards causing harm. A failure to do so could mean you are injured in a public place. As such, you may be eligible to make a public liability claim.

Check How Long You Have To Claim

The Limitation Act 1980 outlines the time restrictions that you will be expected to be adhered to. Usually, as a general rule, you will have three years from the date of your accident to begin a claim.

However, exceptions can be made in some circumstances. To find out whether these apply and to discuss whether you could be eligible to claim after you injured yourself in a slip accident because no wet floor signs were displayed, get in touch on the number above.

Why Do Slips On A Wet Floor Occur?

Slips on a wet floor can happen in various ways. Examples of these include:

  • You may slip and fall in a restaurant if there is a spillage that has not been cleaned up and there are no wet floor signs to notify you. 
  • If a water pipe is broken in the bathroom at work and your employer does not take measures to fix this, you may slip and fall on the floor that has become wet, causing you to suffer a head injury.
  • If the supermarket floor was recently mopped and there is no warning of this known hazard, you could slip and suffer an elbow injury.

If you would like to discuss your specific case to find out whether you’re eligible to seek personal injury compensation, please get in touch. 

What Evidence Could Support A Personal Injury Claim?

In order to prove negligence in your claim and establish liability, evidence will be useful to have. Examples of the evidence you could collect include: 

  • Photographs of your injuries and the accident site.
  • Copies of your medical records.
  • CCTV footage.
  • Witness contact information.

Evidence can help to illustrate how your injury was the result of someone else’s negligence. Our panel of solicitors can assist you in acquiring this if you are unsure how to start. Get in touch to find out whether they could take on your case.

How Much Could I Claim For Slips And Trips If No Wet Floor Signs Were Displayed?

There are two heads of claim you could receive as part of your settlement if you make a successful claim. First of all, general damages aim to compensate for the pain you have experienced as a result of your injuries. There is consideration given to both physical and mental harm and the overall impact on your quality of life.

When valuing the harm you have suffered from your accident, solicitors may look to the compensation brackets contained within the Judicial College Guidelines.

We have included some of these guideline amounts in the table below. However, the figures are only a guide. Your actual award will typically depend on the specific details and circumstances of your claim. As such, the figures are not a guaranteed representation of what you will receive.

Compensation Guidelines

Injury Severity Notes Guidelines for Compensation
Head Moderate (c) (i) Intellectual deficit is moderate to severe. There is also an impact on personality and senses with no prospect of future employment. £150,110 to £219,070
Head Less Severe (d) A good recovery has been made and there has been a return of normality in relation to social life and employment. £15,320 to £43,060
Knee Severe (a) (i) The joint has been disrupted and there is a development of osteoarthritis. There is also considerable pain and loss of function. £69,730 to £96,210
Knee Moderate (b) (i) Injuries that involve a torn cartilage or meniscus as well as dislocation. £14,840 to £26,190
Back Severe (a) (ii) Cases in this bracket have special features such as damage to the nerve roots alongside loss of sensation, impaired mobility and other issues. £74,160 to £88,430
Back Moderate (b) (ii) Ligaments are disturbed as well as the muscles, leading to backache. £12,510 to £27,760
Neck Severe (a) (iii) Soft tissues are severely damaged and ruptured tendons may lead to significant and permanent disabilities. £45,470 to £55,990
Leg Severe (b) (iii) Serious compound or comminuted fractures or joint injuries requiring prolonged treatment. £39,200 to £54,830
Arm Less Severe (c) Disabilities were significant but a large amount of the recovery process has taken place. £19,200 to £39,170
Shoulder Moderate (c) Limitation of movement due to a frozen shoulder accompanied by discomfort and persistent symptoms lasting for two years. £7,890 to £12,770

Special Damages

Secondly, the other head of claim you may receive is special damages. These are responsible for compensating you for the financial damage you have endured due to your injuries.

This can include, for example, if you incur expenses through paying for adjustments to your home to cater to your injuries, such as handrails or a ramp. 

You could also suffer a loss of earnings if your injury prevents you from being able to work, whether that be temporary or permanent. In these instances, you could claim the cost back.

Payslips, bank statements, and invoices can act as evidence of these losses. 

For more information, please get in touch with an advisor. They can help you understand how much you could be owed in personal injury compensation.

Claiming For Slip Accidents With A No Win No Fee Solicitor

If you are eligible to make a personal injury claim after sustaining harm because no wet floor signs were displayed, you may choose to seek the services of a No Win No Fee solicitor. They may propose offering their services under a Conditional Fee Agreement. 

These tend to work in a way that means you can access their services without paying upfront, during the course of your claim or if your case has an unsuccessful outcome.

If your claim is a success, your solicitor will take a success fee, which is a deduction from your compensation. You will usually discuss the percentage before you enter the agreement. Nonetheless, the Conditional Fee Agreements Order 2013 restricts what solicitors can take.  

Speak To An Expert

To receive further guidance about your claim, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our team. They are available 24/7 to answer your claim-related queries. Additionally, they could assess whether you’re eligible to have a solicitor from our panel work on your case.

To reach our advisors, please use any of the following details: 

  • Telephone us on 0800 408 7825
  • Provide us with your details through our form to contact us
  • Connect and chat with an advisor through our live window feature

Learn More About Claiming When No Wet Floor Signs Were Displayed

More of our guides:

Useful sites:

Thank you for reading our guide on when you could make a claim if you have suffered an injury after slipping because no wet floor signs were displayed. If you have any other questions, please get in touch using the details provided above.

Article by MA

Publisher EI