The purpose of our article is to explain how professional negligence solicitors for Nottingham could assist you in claiming compensation after a professional failed to provide services of the correct standard and caused you to suffer a loss.
In the sections below, we discuss how certain professionals, including solicitors, architects, and surveyors, owe their clients a duty of care to provide services that meet the correct standard. We also provide examples of how a loss could be suffered by the client if these services fall below the standard expected. Instances such as these could constitute professional negligence and a claim may be possible.
Later in this guide, we look at the eligibility criteria that must be met to have valid grounds to start a professional negligence claim. You will also find information on how compensation for this type of claim is calculated.
To conclude, we explain how our panel of No Win No Fee solicitors for Nottingham could support you in making a claim and the terms under which they offer their helpful services.
Please feel free to get in touch at any point as you read. Our advisors can offer a free case check to help you understand whether you’re eligible to pursue compensation and can answer any questions you have regarding professional negligence claims.
To reach our team, you can:
Jump To A Section
- What Can Professional Negligence Solicitors For Nottingham Help You With?
- Eligibility Criteria When Making A Professional Negligence Claim
- Who Could You Claim Professional Negligence Compensation Against?
- How Much Compensation Could You Receive From A Professional Negligence Claim?
- Make A No Win No Fee Claim With Professional Negligence Solicitors For Nottingham
- Read More About Making A Professional Negligence Claim
There are certain factors to consider if you’re thinking about instructing a solicitor to help you seek compensation. Firstly, it’s important to select a solicitor with expertise in handling claims similar to your own. Our experienced panel of professional negligence solicitors for Nottingham have years of experience and can offer several services such as:
- Collecting and assembling evidence to strengthen your case.
- Ensuring that documents and any correspondence are sent on your behalf to the correct parties.
- Keeping you updated on the progress of your claim.
- Calculating the value of your compensation.
- Ensuring your case is presented and brought forward within the relevant time frame.
- Explaining any complex legal jargon.
They provide these services nationwide which means you are not restricted to choosing a local solicitor and can focus on finding legal representation most suitable for your case.
To find out more about working with a solicitor from our panel, please contact an advisor on the number above.
As mentioned previously, professional negligence can be when services provided to a client fall short of the correct standard and this causes the client loss. This would be a breach of duty by the professional.
Therefore, to have an eligible professional negligence claim, the following criteria must be met:
- A duty of care was owed to you by a professional, such as a personal injury solicitor, a surveyor, or architect.
- A breach of this duty occurred.
- You suffered a loss as a result.
In addition to these points, generally, a professional negligence claim needs to be started within 6 years. This is outlined by the Limitation Act 1980. However, certain exceptions may apply.
To discuss the exceptions to the time limit and the eligibility criteria in more detail, please contact an advisor on the number above.
Below, we have provided examples of how you could experience a loss due to a professional providing services below the correct standard.
- Before purchasing a property, it needs to be surveyed. If the surveyor responsible for conducting an assessment on the property noticed issues, such as subsidence and damp, but failed to notify you of these, it could lead to you suffering a financial loss if you go on to buy the property.
- An accountant responsible for calculating your tax payments and returns might make a mistake resulting in you paying less tax than you owe. This could cause you to be issued a fine resulting in a financial loss.
- Architects have many responsibilities, including requesting planning permission before building starts. If they fail to do so, any building that has been carried out could be demolished and future work could be halted. This could result in a loss for the client.
Claiming For Professional Negligence Against Solicitors
The Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) is the regulator of solicitors and law firms in England and Wales. It sets out a Code of Conduct which describes the standards of professionalism expected. Please note, that it is not always professional negligence if a solicitor does not meet these standards. However, if you are unhappy with the service provided, a complaint can be made to the SRA.
If a solicitor fails to provide services that meet the correct standard, it could result in you suffering a loss of chance to pursue your claim. This might be in full, or partially.
Examples of how a personal injury or medical negligence solicitor could cause you to suffer a loss of chance through providing a substandard service include:
- Settling the claim too low – A personal injury solicitor might fail to include loss of earnings when calculating your settlement despite having evidence of the loss. As a result, you receive a lower settlement than you’re entitled to and lose the chance to pursue compensation for lost income.
- Missing the limitation period – There is generally a three-year time limit for starting a medical negligence or personal injury claim. If your solicitor missed the limitation period, your claim would become statute-barred and you would no longer be able to pursue it.
- Failure to comply with court deadlines and instructions – If the solicitor doesn’t follow instructions or meet deadlines as given by the courts, it can mean your claim is struck out fully or partially. As a result, you would be unable to continue with all of your claim, or the part that was struck out.
For more information on how our expert panel of professional negligence solicitors for Nottingham could help you and whether you’re eligible to have them represent your case, call on the number above.
The purpose of professional negligence claims is to put you back in the position you would have been in had the professional upheld their duty of care and not caused you to suffer a loss. Furthermore, 8% interest will be added for each year that has passed since the initial incident of professional negligence.
However, it’s important to be aware that settlements will vary depending on several factors, including who the claim is against. For example, the value of a settlement awarded in a successful claim against a negligent personal injury solicitor will be calculated differently to the value of a settlement awarded in a successful claim against an architect.
The table below contains potential examples of professional negligence compensation payouts. However, the figures are not guaranteed and should be used as a guide only.
|Up to £500,000+
|Up to £500,000+
|Up to £500,000+
|Financial Advisor Negligence
|Up to £500,000+
|Up to £500,000+
Call our team of helpful advisors for further guidance on compensation for professional negligence.
The professional negligence solicitors for Nottingham on our panel offer their services to eligible claimants via a type of No Win No Fee arrangement called a Conditional Fee Agreement (CFA). The terms of a CFA typically allow you to work with a solicitor and access their services without the need to pay anything at the start of the claim, or as it progresses forward. Additionally, if the claim fails, there are no fees to pay for your solicitor’s services.
If the claim completes successfully, your solicitor takes a percentage of the compensation as their success fee. This percentage is subject to a legal cap ensuring you keep the majority of your settlement.
To learn more about the No Win No Fee terms under which a solicitor from our panel could potentially offer their services and help you seek compensation, get in touch with an advisor. They can also provide further information on claiming for professional negligence and assess your case for free.
You can reach our helpful team via the following contact details:
We also have the following guides that may help:
- Find out how professional negligence solicitors for Leeds could assist you.
- Learn how to connect with Cardiff solicitors for your professional negligence claim.
- Discover the benefits of working with a solicitor for Manchester when seeking compensation for professional negligence.
You can also follow these external resources for more information:
- The Law Society discuss common legal issues encountered.
- Read about choosing a solicitor from the SRA.
- Information on legal jargon from the SRA.
We hope this guide discussing how professional negligence solicitors for Nottingham could assist you in seeking compensation has helped. If you have any other questions, please contact an advisor on the number above.