The aim of this guide is to offer information on how professional negligence solicitors for Liverpool could help you claim compensation.
Professionals, including solicitors, architects and financial advisors, owe a duty of care to their clients to provide services that meet the correct standard. If there is a failure to uphold this duty by providing services that fall below the expected standard, and you are caused loss as a result, this is professional negligence. We will discuss the eligibility criteria that need to be met in order to make a claim of this nature and how solicitors could help you through the claims process.
Additionally, we will discuss the professionals that you could potentially claim against and look at some examples of professional negligence.
Furthermore, professional negligence settlements will be discussed, including the purpose they have and how they may be calculated.
Lastly, we will discuss how it could benefit you to work with a No Win No Fee solicitor and the terms under which they could offer their services.
For more information regarding your potential professional negligence claim, reach out to an advisor by:
Browse Our Guide
- Professional Negligence Solicitors For Liverpool – How Can They Help You?
- Eligibility Criteria For Making A Professional Negligence Claim
- Who Can You Make Professional Negligence Claims Against?
- How Much Compensation Could You Receive From A Professional Negligence Claim?
- Make A No Win No Fee Professional Negligence Claim
- Learn More About How To Use Professional Negligence Solicitors For Liverpool
When choosing a solicitor to represent your professional negligence claim, there are several factors you should consider.
Firstly, you should aim to choose a solicitor with experience handling claims similar to your own. This can ensure they have knowledge of the claims process and can guide you through seeking compensation for your losses. Additionally, you should consider the services they offer and whether these could benefit you and your claim.
The professional negligence solicitors for Liverpool on our panel have prior experience representing claims of this nature and can offer the following services:
- Help collecting and build evidence to strengthen your case
- Sending important documents and correspondence on your behalf
- Keeping you regularly updated on the status of your claim
- Value your claim
- Ensuring your case is presented in full and within the relevant time limit
Furthermore, they can offer these services nationwide, meaning you don’t have to necessarily choose a local solicitor. Instead, you can ensure you choose the best solicitor for your case.
To find out more about the ways in which a solicitor from our panel could assist you, please reach out to an advisor on the number above.
In order to begin a professional negligence claim, the following criteria need to be satisfied:
- Firstly, a professional owed you a duty of care.
- Secondly, they breached this duty of care.
- Finally, you experienced loss because of the breach.
Additionally, you need to ensure your claim is started within the time limit for professional negligence claims. This is typically 6 years.
To learn more about the eligibility criteria and time limits, get in touch with an advisor by calling the number at the top of the page.
There are several professionals who owe a duty of care to clients, including:
- Accountants: If an accountant made a mistake when calculating their clients taxes, it could result in financial loss for the client. For example, they could be issued a fine.
- Financial advisors: If a financial advisor gave incorrect advice about an investment to a client, it could result in them experiencing financial loss.
- Architects: If an architect failed to ensure the measurements for a building where correct, or they did not acquire the relevant planning permissions, it could mean the building needs to be demolished. As a result, the client could experience loss.
- Surveyors: A client purchasing a property could be caused financial loss if a surveyor failed to inform them of problems with a property, such as mould and damp. As a result, they become aware of these problems after purchasing the property, causing them monetary losses.
It’s important to note that a professional negligence claim can only be made if you are able to prove that a professional breached their duty of care, and caused you loss.
Examples Of Professional Negligence From A Solicitor
The Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) regulates solicitors, as well as law firms, in England and Wales. They outline a Code of Conduct which sets out the professional standards that is expected of solicitors registered with the SRA. Whilst it isn’t necessarily professional negligence if a solicitor doesn’t adhere to these standards, a complaint can be made to the SRA if this happens.
If a solicitor fails to provide the correct standard of services, it can mean you suffer a loss of chance to pursue your claim in full or partially.
Below, we have provided some examples of how a solicitor, including those handling personal injury or medical negligence claims, could provide a substandard level of service, resulting in you suffering loss:
- Under-settling a claim: When calculating your compensation, a medical negligence solicitor failed to include travel expenses, despite having been given evidence of this expense in the form of travel tickets. As a result, a lower settlement is awarded.
- Missed limitation period: There is a general three year time limit to start a medical negligence or personal injury claim. If a solicitor misses this limitation period, it can mean a claim becomes statute-barred and can no longer be pursued.
- Failure to adhere to court instructions or deadlines: If a solicitor does not adhere to instructions or meet deadlines that have been laid out by the courts, it can result in your claim being struck out, either partially, or wholly. As a result, you can no longer pursue the part of your claim that has been struck out.
If you would like to discuss when you could claim against a negligent solicitor or other professional, please speak with an advisor. They may be able to connect you with one of the professional negligence solicitors for Liverpool from our panel.
The aim of a professional negligence payout is to place you in the position you would have been in had the negligence not occurred. Additionally, you will be awarded 8% interest on top of your payout for each year that has passed since the negligence.
However, it’s important to be aware that the way in which settlements are calculated will differ depending on who the claim is against.
The table below includes examples of potential professional negligence settlements. Please only use this as a guide, however, because the amount you’re awarded will differ depending on the nature of your specific case.
|Up to £500,000+
|Up to £500,000+
|Up to £500,000+
|Financial Advisor Negligence
|Up to £500,000+
|Up to £500,000+
For more information on the compensation that could be awarded should a claim succeed, please contact an advisor.
If you choose to work with one of the professional negligence solicitors for Liverpool on our panel, they could offer their services in a No Win No Fee capacity. As such, they may offer a Conditional Fee Agreement (CFA), which is a type of contract that can allow you access to a solicitor’s services without the requirement to pay at the following times:
- When your claim begins,
- As your claim progresses,
- If your claim does not succeed.
Following the completion of a successful claim, your solicitor will take a percentage of your compensation. This is referred to as a success fee, which will be discussed with you prior to any work beginning on your case. Also, the amount a solicitor can take is restricted by the law.
If you would like to learn more about working with a solicitor from our panel, or have any questions about starting a claim for professional negligence, you can speak with an advisor. To reach them you can:
For more of our helpful guides:
- Can I claim against my solicitor if my personal injury claim is struck out?
- Professional negligence solicitors for Glasgow
- Professional negligence solicitors for Sheffield
For more beneficial external resources:
Thank you for reading our guide on how professional negligence solicitors for Liverpool could assist you in seeking compensation. If you have any other questions, please get in touch with an advisor via the contact details provided above.
Article by EA