How To Claim Council Compensation Payouts

By Richie Billing. Last Updated 15th November 2023. In this guide, we will provide information on council compensation payouts that you could receive following a successful claim. There are various instances where you may be eligible to make a claim against the council. For instance, you may have sustained harm as a result of your local council failing to uphold the duty of care they owe you.

This guide will provide examples of accidents caused by the council’s negligence to help you understand whether you’re eligible to seek compensation. In addition, we have aimed to help you understand what the compensation package you receive may cover following a successful claim.

Furthermore, we will explore the different steps you could take to support your case, including gathering evidence that’s relevant. 

Although we have aimed to cover the information you need, please don’t hesitate to contact our team if you have any questions after reading. Our team of advisers are available 24/7 to discuss your case in more detail. You can reach them by: 

  • Calling on 0800 408 7825
  • Talking to an adviser via the live chat feature below
  • Filling in our online contact form.

council compensation payouts

A guide to council compensation payouts

Select A Section 

  1. When Could You Sue The Council For Negligence?
  2. Accidents You Could Claim Council Compensation Payouts For
  3. Council Employee Injury Claims
  4. Council Compensation Payouts
  5. Contact A No Win No Fee Accident Lawyer
  6. Council Accident Claim Resources

When Could You Sue The Council For Negligence?

While you are in a public place, such as a public park or using footpaths, the individual or organisation in control of that space must ensure your reasonable safety. This is their duty of care as set out in the Occupiers’ Liability Act 1957. If a breach in this duty of care results in you suffering an injury, you might be eligible to claim personal injury compensation.

If you suffer an injury while in a local authority space, such as tripping over uneven pavement resulting in a broken foot, you might like to know whether you are eligible for compensation from the council. To make a personal injury claim, you need to be able to prove that:

  • You were owed a duty of care.
  • This duty was breached.
  • You suffered harm because of this breach.

Direct any questions you may have about council compensation payouts to one of the advisors from our team. They can offer further information about public liability claims and help identify whether you have good grounds to seek compensation.

Accidents You Could Claim Council Compensation Payouts For

Below, we have included examples of accidents that could result from the council’s negligence:

  • Council slip and trip accidents– You may have tripped over a broken pavement slab causing you to sustain a broken ankle. In this instance, you could seek compensation for the effects of your injuries if the council failed to take reasonable action to fix the pavement slab.
  • Pothole accidents – A pothole could cause serious accidents on the road that could result in significant injuries, such as a serious brain injury. If you experience an accident caused by a pothole that the council failed to fix in a reasonable amount of time, you may be eligible to seek compensation for your pain and suffering.

If you’ve sustained an injury following an accident in a public place due to the council’s negligence, our team of advisers would be happy to talk with you. They may be able to connect you to an experienced personal injury lawyer from our panel. They can also answer questions on matters such as council compensation payouts in the UK.

Compensation From The Council – Personal Injury Claim Time Limits

In order to claim compensation from the council, you must ensure that you begin your claim within the personal injury claims time limit. This limit, along with time limits for various other kinds of claims, is set out by the Limitation Act 1980. It states that you will generally have three years to start a personal injury claim for compensation from the council. However, there are some exceptions.

For example, the time limit freezes if you are injured while under the age of eighteen. While the time limit remains frozen, a litigation friend can start a claim on your behalf. Otherwise, you can start your own claim when the three-year time limit comes into effect on your eighteenth birthday.

Similarly, the time limit is frozen for those who lack the mental capacity to claim for themselves. However, the time limit freezes indefinitely in these cases and only reinstates if the claimant recovers the appropriate mental capacity. Otherwise, their claim can be made by a litigation friend at any time while the limit is frozen.

To find out more about council compensation claims, or to learn if you are within the right time limit to make a claim, get in touch with our team. Or, read on to find out how to make a council compensation claim.

Council Employee Injury Claims

If you’re an employee of a council and have suffered an injury due to your employer’s negligence, you may be able to make a claim. The Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 states that all employers have a responsibility to safeguard and protect their employees by taking all reasonable and practical steps. 

However, in some cases, your employer may fail to do so causing you to suffer an injury. For example, they may fail to put measures in place to keep the office space you work in free from excessive clutter. As a result, you may trip over a stack of files causing you to sustain a broken wrist.

Our team of advisers can talk with you about making a claim for an accident at work against the council. If you have a valid claim, they can discuss the potential council compensation payouts you may receive if your claim is successful. 

Council Compensation Payouts 

The portion of compensation payouts regarding your pain and suffering is known as general damages. It’s calculated in relation to the impact on your physical and mental health. More extreme injuries tend to be worth more in compensation than minor injuries. Factors such as the extent and length of your recovery period are also taken into account.

Legal professionals involved in your personal injury claim make use of a few different helpful resources to assist them in their calculations. One of these resources is the Judicial College Guidelines (JCG). The table below shows some of the figures from the latest edition, except for the top entry. However, these figures only relate to claims made in England and Wales.

The amounts in the table should only be used to give you a rough estimate of how much your general damages payment could be worth. Whilst they are based on court cases that have taken place in the past, your own claim will need to be specifically assessed before it can be valued accurately.

Injury Notes Compensation
Compensation for multiple serious injuries plus expenses The claimant could claim compensation for their pain and suffering for multiple serious injuriesas well as any expenses that have been caused by their injuries, such as physical therapy and loss of earnings. Up to £100,000+
Ankle Injuries – Very Severe Very severe ankle injuries such as a transmalleolar fracture that causes extensive soft-tissue damage. £50,060 to £69,700
Ankle Injuries – Modest Modest ankle injuries including ligamentous damage, fractures and sprains. Up to £13,740
Wrist Injuries Such injuries will cause a complete loss of function. £47,620 to £59,860
Severe Finger Fractures Severely fractured fingers that result in reduced function and impaired grip. Up to £36,740
Foot Injuries – Moderate Moderate foot injuries such as a displaced fracture that causes permanent deformity. £13,740 to £24,990
Skeletal Injuries Where multiple facial bones have been fractured causing a permanent deformity. £14,900 to £23,950
Hand Injuries – Moderate Moderate hand injuries such as penetrating wounds, soft tissue or crush injuries. £5,720 to £13,280
Teeth Damage (i) Where several front teeth have been lost or seriously damaged. £8,730 to £11,410

Each claim is assessed based on its individual circumstances, such as how severe the injury is and how long it takes to heal. For that reason, you should only use the figures in the table as a guide because your actual settlement will vary.

Special damages compensate for the financial impact the injury had on you. An example of this could be suffering a loss of earnings due to taking some time off work with your injuries. In this instance, you could seek reimbursement provided you have evidence to support these losses, such as payslips.

Get in touch if you’d like our advisors to take you through the process of how your claim is valued. We can even give you a bespoke estimate over the phone.

Contact A No Win No Fee Accident Lawyer

A No Win No Fee agreement, also known as a Conditional Fee Agreement, is a contractual agreement between you and your solicitor. As per the agreement, you won’t pay any costs during the course of your claim. Also, you won’t pay an upfront fee for your solicitor’s services.

If your claim loses, you won’t have to pay a success fee to your solicitor. If your claim wins, your solicitor will take the success fee out of your compensation. 

As you can see, there are several benefits to hiring legal representation this way. However, if you would like more information, please get in touch.

An advisor will be happy to offer you legal advice for free and discuss whether a solicitor from our panel could take your case on this basis. They could also provide further guidance on council compensation payouts in the UK.

For more information regarding your claim:

  • Call us on 0800 408 7825 
  • Fill in our online contact form
  • Chat with an advisor via the live chat feature below.

Council Accident Claim Resources

In the sections below, we have provided some additional resources that you may find beneficial.

We hope this guide on how to receive council compensation payouts has helped. However, if you have any additional questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch on the number above.